- Spinach. It’s full of vitamins A, C and K, as well as high in folic acid and iron. Other leafy greens like collard greens and kale are great substitutes.
- Blueberries. They’re rich in antioxidants and have vitamin C and manganese.
- Apples. There’s a reason for the whole “apple a day” line. They’re portable, delicious and a great source of fiber and vitamin C.
- Lean chicken/beans/nuts. The average healthy woman needs between 60-90g of protein per day while pregnant. Lean meats are the best source for meat-eaters; beans & rice and nuts, for vegetarians.
- Lowfat yogurt. Loaded with probiotics and calcium, yogurt is a great addition to almost any meal. (I like mine with cereal.)
And don’t forget to go for the organic versions of these foods whenever possible. A safe rule to follow is that if you can’t peel it, it’s safer to go organic.